
I have been working for the last 2 weeks teaching English to a group of kids in a bar called Crazy Kims. I am absolutely loving it. Still never thought I would be a teacher, but have to admit I am getting a real kick out of being in front of a class getting them to work out different verb tenses... who would've thunk it huh!
Vietnam was a bit of an adjustment to Thailand. It definitely doesn't feel as safe here - as soon as the Vietnamese figure out we are teachers and are staying here for a little while they tell us to be careful and give us advice on not getting our bags stolen etc. Have been lucky so far, but have heard stories from other travellers. I am also starting to become immune to the constant greetings of "Hello, buy something", "Hello, motorbike?" etc that you get every minute walking down the store. The kids I teach work on the streets selling postcards and everyday we get requests to buy postcards, or buy them ice creams.
Am still doing the tourist thing though, went on an island tour yesterday which was great. Stopped off at 4 islands around Nha Trang to snorkel, swim and float in the water drinking mulberry wine... it's a tough life!
I am settling in though and am really enjoying it here, especially being 5 mins walk from the beach and getting to swim everyday. The kids are really sweet (when they're behaving) and it's really nice to walk around and have them spot you on the street and come and talk to you. It's going to be really hard to leave this for France, but I have to go on Wednesday. I've got a job there starting next week, so will be cutting my summer teaching holiday short to go and work in wintery Europe.
No comments:
Post a Comment