Sunday, April 02, 2006

J'adore....

.. France. I am completely smitten with France so far and am just wandering around in a happy daze loving every minute of being here. The food, the sites, the shopping, the people - it's all fantastic so far. Now I just need to learn the language!

I had the first week of camp this week, and if I thought it was strange for me to be up in front of a class teaching, it is stranger still to get dressed up and act in skits and sing songs etc. So far I have been an aerobics instructor; an actress; a bad cowboy and a bodyguard. And I've even sung 'You are my sunshine' in front of a class full of kids... never thought I'd see the day that would happen! The job is fairly full on with long hours and I feel like I am herding cats most of the time, but it will be a good experience. Our TEFL course certainly didn't teach us how to deal with children who are dyslexic, can't read or have had a traumatic childhood and just start beating their heads on the ground when they aren't happy - all of that was new to me this week.

Tour de Buis is a cute little spot about 30 minutes from Vienne; which is about 30 minutes south of Lyon. We've already made friends with the bartender at the local bar, so there are plenty of drinks on the house, which takes away some of the stress from the kids on a Friday night (and perhaps a Saturday and a Sunday night). I went to Vienne and played tourist last weekend checking out the Roman ruins etc and spent the weekend in Lyon this weekend. It was absolutely beautiful with great weather, it's warming up nicely for spring.

Sorry, no pictures this time. Haven't got the technology at the camp to upload to the computer, but I will find a way shortly I'm sure. I'm sure you'll find the pictures of roman ruins and churches a nice change to pictures of temples and buddhas!

No comments: