Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pai in the sky....


It's a tough life... have just gotten back to bustling Chiang Mai after a week in the small northern Thailand town of Pai. This is the view from the rickety bamboo bridge we crossed to get to our little bungalows



Pai is nice and small compared to Chiang Mai, full of hills and valleys. We bit the bullet on the second day there and hired scooters to ride around the neighbourhood. A little wobbly at first, but got off to a good start and were soon tearing down the country roads at breakneck speeds of around 40km/hr.

First stop was the hot springs, which weren't nearly as impressive as the public toilets nearby. Clare - I thought of you when I saw this.....

Looks like a bit of mould at first, but zoom in... uh uh... daddy long legs the size of my palm... everywhere! This is just one corner of the bathroom, several other corners were the same. We got more up close and personal with them on the following day on a 5 hour waterfall hike. They seem to like living in massive groups near water, so there were many moments walking along the river when it was safest just to not look down to avoid seeing them swarming all over the ground.

Apart from these adventures (and a small mishap on the scooter... resulting in a couple of bruises and some wounded pride) it's just been lounging around, drinking with travel buddies and seeing the sights.

(A couple of people I shared a dorm with in Chiang Mai - Geoff and Selina)

I did manage to fit a cooking class into my busy schedule though.. here's me whipping up cashew nut vegies:

I leave Chiang Mai for Vietnam on Friday, where I'll be volunteering in Nha Trang for 4 weeks before heading to Cambodia. Look forward to hearing how everyone is going!

No comments: